The Swedish National Road and Transport Research Institute (VTI) invites applications for a full-time, permanent position as professor in economics with a focus on transport.
The position will also be linked to the School of Architecture and the Built Environment at the Royal Institute of Technology, KTH in Stockholm. The professorship has an expected starting date in 2017 and is placed at VTI:s office in Stockholm.
VTI is Sweden’s leading independent transport research institute with approximately 200 employees and an annual turnover of about 200 million SEK (about 21 M€). VTI’s scientific personnel currently includes four full-time professors, about twenty associate professors, a large number of researchers, and about twenty doctoral candidates. Research projects, which are primarily financed through external funding, are carried out in a broad range of areas within applied natural sciences, engineering, social science and the humanities.
About the position
The field of research is concerned with economic analysis of transport and transport systems in a broad sense. Relevant issues may include (but are not limited to): analyses of tariffs, taxes and incentivizing mechanisms from both efficiency and financial perspectives; studies of the causal consequences of both pricing, investment and maintenance activities; studies of various ways to organize and create institutions in order to contribute to the efficient use of scarce resources; the design of mechanisms for promoting competition and for tendering construction and maintenance activities. The research could also address the development of econometric and experimental approaches of relevance to the field. The position is expected to produce and disseminate new knowledge that may be used by both policy makers and other decision makers in the field.
As a VTI professor in this area, you will be expected to:
- stimulate, lead and carry out high-quality research and development that contributes to strengthening scientific knowledge and competence in the research area
- initiate, formulate and seek external funding for research projects in cooperation with colleagues and partners within academia, industry, and public or private organizations
- supervise doctoral candidates
- develop relevant national and international research networks
- provide scientific knowledge that can be used by national authorities, public agencies and other relevant stakeholders, as well as to disseminate research results to broad groups within Sweden and internationally.
Requirements, desired qualifications and personal skills
The successful candidate will have broad competence in economics. The candidate must also have demonstrated scientific and pedagogic excellence within areas that are relevant to the scientific content and work tasks of the position.
Criteria for scientific and pedagogic excellence:
- The scientific proficiency shall be such that the candidate is internationally recognized within the research area.
- Scientific excellence shall be demonstrated in independent research on a level that exceeds the requirements for associate professor (“docent”) both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- The candidate’s scientific publications shall be recent, high quality and published in international scientific journals.
- The candidate shall documented experience of initiating, building up, leading and carrying out research activities through funding that has been secured on a competitive basis nationally or internationally.
- The candidate’s pedagogic proficiency shall be demonstrated through high-quality teaching activities on the Ph.D. level, as well as on undergraduate and/or advanced levels within universities, colleges or other relevant professional contexts. Strong ability in pedagogic dissemination of research results is important.
- The candidate shall have documented experience of supervisory work (for example of master’s students, Ph.D. students) and shall ideally have been a de facto main supervisor for at least one Ph.D candidate to the degree.
The following qualifications will be meritorious in the assessment:
- Documented experience of economic analysis of transport and transport systems.
- Documented experience of research concerning the shaping or implementing of measures to enhance the efficiency of the transport sector.
- A research plan that reflects high quality and high relevance in relation to the position (see “About the Position” above and “How to Apply” below).
- Documented experience of multidisciplinary research.
- Documented ability to develop national and international networks.
- Documented experience of research-based interaction and cooperation with relevant societal actors (such as policy makers), as well as strong communication skills.
- Personal suitability for the position; strong leadership skills; strong ability to work well with others, as well as drive and independence. Knowledge of relevant issues related to cultural diversity and equal opportunities, particularly gender issues, is also important.
Good oral and written skills in English are required. Proficiency in Swedish is not a requirement at the time of appointment, but the successful applicant will be required within three years to master Swedish sufficiently to be able to participate actively in all the functions and tasks that the position entails, including communication with external stakeholders.
Additional information about the position can be obtained from Jonas Bjelfvenstam (VTI Director General) + 46-13-20 42 10, or Mattias Haraldsson (Research Director, Transport economics) +46-8-555 770 27. Additional information with regard to salary and other terms of employment is available from Christina Carlson (Human Resources Manager) +46-13-20 42 20 or union representatives Jenny Karlsson, Saco, or Sara Janhäll, ST, both of whom can be reached through the VTI telephone exchange +46-13-20 40 00.
VTI will not accept any commercial or other external assistance with regard to advertising or recruiting to this position.
How to apply
Detailed information on how to apply is to be found via “Apply”.
Applications must arrive no later than June 10th 2016.
Source: TheGuardian Jobs
Sign Up in Seconds
Sign up with your email address to receive hot updates straight in your inbox.