National News Daily Current Affairs Update – 20 April 2016
ExamPariksha publishes relevant fact based Current Affairs daily to cover all important happening and developments in the National sphere in this section. Usually examiners ask GA GK questions in personal interviews focussing on recent events to check how informed you are, is an attempt to cover all important topics for such scenarios also.
- Delhi Transport Minister Gopal Rai has said that the odd-even vehicle rationing scheme may soon become a permanent feature in the national capital. The government is also considering covering two-wheelers under the rule.
- Maharashtra government has decided to ban setting up new sugar mills in all eight districts in the drought-hit Marathwada region for five years. Maharashtra state government also plans to make drip-irrigation compulsory for sugarcane farms in the state.
- PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated a superspeciality hospital in Jammu and Kashmir’s Katra district. It is named Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, the medical centre has 230 beds and over 20 different streams of medicine and surgery.
- The Centre has decided to release 55% of its annual MGNREGA allocation of ₹38,500 crore for 2016-17 by June this year. This decision has been taken as severe drought conditions in many parts of the country are expected to increase the demand for work by distressed rural workers.
- India’s first satellite, Aryabhata, built by the Indian Space Research Organisation, has been launched on this day (April 19, 1975), by the Soviet Union. Weighing 360 kg and built to conduct experiments in X-ray astronomy, aeronomics, and solar physics, Aryabhata had re-entered the Earth’s atmosphere in 1992.
- The Indian Medical Association (IMA) has urged all its doctors not to put advertisements guaranteeing treatment to patients. According to Drugs and Magic Remedies Act, advertisements by doctors are prohibited in any media.
- Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi has inaugurated a conference on child adoption in Shillong which has been aimed at familiarising the stakeholders with the adoption programme in north-east states.
- Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (CGRBMS) has been formally launched in New Delhi. It has been launched by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation with help of Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK). The centre will work as a Think-tank to coordinate all activities within the Ganga river basin, including science, technology, research, innovation, social and investment related aspects.
International News Daily Current Affairs Update – 20 April 2016
Questions about International Relations (IR) are often asked in interviews, written exams conducted by various recruiters. The following international news has important daily current affairs which you must know as an aspirant for exams conducted by UPSC and State PSCs.
- US-based Binghamton University scientists have developed a new system that can identify people by their brain waves with a 100% accuracy. This system might help in security systems for authentication purposes, researchers said.
- YouTube has rolled out support for live streaming of 360° videos on its platform. Through this, users can experience concerts, faraway locations and sports events in real-time.
- Panama’s President Juan Carlos Varela has announced that the country will adopt international tax reporting standards by 2018. This comes after the controvertial Panama Papers implicating several highflying firms and individuals globally.
- During the 2016 Rio Olympics, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to promote the ‘Make in India initiative’. The Indian Embassy in Rio will host several cultural exhibitions to highlight the country’s progress in self-sustenance. A kabaddi match, involving India’s best players, will also be showcased, in an attempt to push the sport towards Olympic legitimacy.
- The 14th meeting of the Foreign Ministers of the Russian Federation, the Republic of India and the People’s Republic of China has been held in Moscow, Russian Federation. Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, Union Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of India Sushma Swaraj, and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China Wang Yi took part in the meeting.
Economics News Daily Current Affairs Update – 20 April 2016
- The Tirupati Balaji temple management has deposited 1,311 kg of gold with the Punjab National Bank under the three-year short term Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS).
- The US investment bank has downgraded private sector ICICI Bank and public sector Bank of Baroda (BoB) to so-called equal weight because of expectations that these banks will have to provide more money to cover for non-performing assets (NPAs) in the current and next fiscal year.
- The RBI has tweaked its norms allowing banks to provision fraud cases within four quarters from the quarter in which it has been detected. Currently, banks should immediately provision for the entire amount due to it or for which it is liable after fraud identification. Further, 861 bank fraud cases involving ₹4,920 crore were reported in the first half of 2015-16.
- Indian Railways Finance Corporation (IRFC), the public sector enterprise that raises funds for the Indian Railways, has appointed lead managers to issue offshore bonds or rupee-denominated bonds (Masala bonds). The lead managers are JP Morgan, Deutsche, BNP Paribas, HSBC, Standard chart and SBI Caps.
Sports News Daily Current Affairs Update – 20 April 2016
- Laureus World Sports Awards 2016 has named the Sportsman of the year – Novak Djokovic; and Sportswoman of the year – Serena Williams. This has been the third Laureus trophy for both players.
- Hawk-Eye technology will be used to decide whether the ball has crossed the goal-line at this year’s European Championship. The British company’s camera-based system, used in tennis and cricket and at the 2014 World Cup final, will be installed in all 10 stadiums hosting the tournament in France.
☑Free Study Material & Online Tests for Various Subjects